Saturday, July 14, 2012

Kudzu Critters

Twice I've encountered these flying beetles on the farm while working with both green beans and soybeans.  Kudzus are notorious for flying and sticking to whatever area they desire, particularly soybeans. We've become so familiar with kudzus in the South for the past three years ever since they were introduced to America from Japan as an invasive species. Kudzus have become such a problem because they have been attacking soybean plants by eating at the stems and leaves. And I have no doubt that's exactly what they were doing to the edamame plants we had recently harvested at Serenbe. There were hundreds of Kudzu bugs swarming and attaching themselves to us while we prepped the soybeans. Now, little did I know about Kudzu bugs the day we did this. Apparently, these critters kept invading and landing on my orange hat. Later, I discovered that Kudzus are attracted to light colored objects such as white cars. In addition, every once in a while I would swat off a couple of bugs on my neck and chest. I was unfortunate enough to be a victim to their "bug spray". Within a matter of time, I felt a burning sensation on my neck and chest. Kudzu bugs are from the stinkbug family and thus release a chemical when they feel threatened as a part of their defense mechanism. This secretion is no regular irritant, it's pretty potent and leaves a scar. Be sure to wear long sleeves and pants while in the presence of these beetles!



Attracted to bright colors!

crawling on my arm. Luckily no burns afflicted here

So many attached to the edamame that we had to shake them off

No comments:

Post a Comment