Thursday, July 19, 2012

Interview with a Farmer

I had always thought a majority of farmers were old men who wore overalls, and who were grumpy from the long hours of labor under the sun, coupled with being isolated in the rural boondocks. That was a huge misconception I had. Thus began my conquest in search for answers. Answers that would put an end to my narrow view of farmers. So I decided to interview Maya, one of the apprentices at Serenbe Farms. 


 

Julie (interviewer)
Maya (interviewee)

J: How long have you been working on a farm?
M: March 2011



J: What made you interested in joining the crew at Serenbe Farms?
M: In the summer of 2011, I volunteered on a farm on the weekends in Pennsylvania. I enjoyed it a lot and I became interested in getting a job out of it, so I sought out Serenbe Farms.



J: How has your experience been so far?
M: It's been great! I've learned a lot about farming and I want to pursue it as a career. Since I'm from Atlanta, I feel so connected to the growing organic community in Georgia. Plus, I just love everything that goes into running a farm. 



J: What is one thing you have learned here at Serenbe that you did not know prior to working here. 
M: Cover cropping. I didn't know what it was. I thought you would either have bare land or be actively growing crops.



J: What is your favorite aspect of working at Serenbe?
M: Taking care of the plants/crops. I enjoy nursing a tiny seed and watching it grow into something that you can eat or is aesthetically pleasing. I find it rewarding in nurturing them and making sure they're healthy. Plus, I'm continuously learning about what you can do to make them thrive. 



J: What vegetable describes you and why?
M: Tomatillo. It's my favorite and its uniqueness stands out to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment